Earlier this month I looked back through and found out not only was I behind on my awards… I’d completely missed some. I’m finally getting around to filling in all the blanks. So this is a long time in coming, but I wanted to thank the girls that have nominated me over the past several months and make sure to pass on the love. SO, get settled in for a long post.
About The Award
- The Liebster Award exists by bloggers for bloggers. It’s a way to show your appreciation for the blogs you love and help other people find them.
- “Liebster” comes from German origin and can translate to mean: dearest, sweetest, kindest, nicest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, welcome, sweetheart, and boyfriend.
The (Official) Rules
- Thank the person that nominated you, & link back to their blog.
- Display the Award on your blog. (in your post and/or a widget)
- Answer 11 questions about yourself.
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5-11 blogs with under 1000 followers to receive the award.
- Create a new list of questions for the nominees to follow.
- List these rules in your Award post.
- Inform each blogger of the Award nomination.
Questions from Meghan @ immalady
1. What led you to start blogging?
Self esteem, honestly. I’ve always struggled to be comfortable with how I look, face or body, as a lot of people do. I wanted to start trying new products and new makeup techniques and looks. I got into subscription boxes so that I’d have a reason to experiment, and I decided to start a blog to review the boxes and sort of force myself to commit to the project long term.
2. What is your favorite part of blogging?
I love that I can be myself and be a sarcistic little weirdo and you guys seem to love it. But lately the coolest thing has been when someone tells me they love the detail of a post or that something helped them make a decision or gave them new information. I know that there’s a TON of beauty blogs around, especially of ones reviewing subscription boxes, and knowing that in the overload of information on the same topics, I managed to stand out and give something that other people didn’t? That’s pretty badass.
3. What is your go-to dish to take to a potluck or party?
I don’t actually go to many of these. But I’d have to say it’s mini chocolate cupcakes with homemade peanut butter or mock buttercream frosting. My treats get eaten up quick and whenever my mom has brought them to a potluck or something they’ve gotten great praise. If I don’t do a dessert, it’s the recipe I learned from her with salsa/cream cheese pinwheels.
4. What is your must have beauty product?
Mascara. There’s products I like all the time, but mascara makes me feel more awake and ready for the day. Good skin could cancel out my concealer. (come on good skin… come on!!! I’m waiting!)
5. Who is your dream dinner party guest?
I really don’t know who it would be. So just conversation wise I’d have to say Jennifer Lawrence or Felicia Day. Socially awkward, open, funny, sounds like a good dinner.
6. What is one piece of advice you’d give to your younger self?
Don’t do things out of obligation – trust your instincts and trust that if something feels wrong, it is. You don’t have to do things just because it’s normal. Ok this sounds like it’s about smoking or drugs but it’s really not. It’s about school and dating and family.
7. What is the meaning behind your blog name?
Originally this blog name was made for another project. And I changed that to a new domain and then cancelled the project all together. But I had this nagging feeling I would want it eventually, so I kept it registered. When I decided to start this journey into the makeup world it felt perfect. Beyond that… It just reflects who I am. My relationship is integrated into every part of my life. My geekiness and nerdiness and tech-ness all is incorporated into how I speak. That Geeky Girlfriend is memorable, sweet, and relatable, and it lets me talk about everything from planning, relationships, health, geekiness and girliness.
8. What is the best blog post you’ve written so far? Share the link!
I’d say my favorite post actually has nothing to do with beauty. It’s my 6 Reasons To Keep a Journal This Month post. This is something I do almost without fail every day and it’s something I share with a community of fellow BuJo lovers and that I send photos of to the bf daily that helps us stay connected. I’m a total planner nerd and I’m obsessed with lists, so this post is right up my alley. And I just loved the photos I had for the article.
9. Do you prefer to have a plan or be spontaneous?
I get really anxious not knowing what’s going to happen, so it CAN be spontaneous, but I need to know we are going to be doing SOMETHING… and then the spontanous stuff needs to sort of at least have a rough outline. Ok yeah planned. Basically planned.
10. What is your most prized possession?
The chain choker necklace that my guy and I picked out together. I wear it absolutely every day because it’s the item in my life that means as much as a wedding ring does to some people. It’s the symbol I can touch that makes me feel connected to him whenever he’s not nearby. I’ve actually had panic attacks from forgetting to put it back on after a shower and waking up without it.
11. What do you feel is most important for your blog readers to take away from your blog?
That makeup, skincare, and anything in your life should be fun and experimental. You don’t have to do what’s trendy, you don’t have to follow the rules, you just have to do what feels right to you.
Questions from Rhiannon @ SmileSweetieHQ
1. What do you do as a day job? Do you enjoy it?
I’m job hunting at the moment. My last job was data entry and I did actually enjoy it, though I think most people would find it monotonous. I’m trained in graphic design, advertising, and editorial photography though, and I think a combination of those would be my dream job.
2. Where do you see yourself in five years time?
Living with my guy, likely working in advertising again or just anywhere that I can come home feeling satisfied that what I did that day was worth my time and effort.
3. Who are your top 3 Vloggers?
Kandee Johnson, Ashley Elizabeth, Glam&Gore – there’s more than that, but those are the ones that I will long-term stalk back into their history lately.
4. Where was your last holiday? And where to next?
Florida! I just got back late Monday night from seeing my guy. That will be my next trip as well. I don’t really do holidays or vacations except for heading off to see him.
5. Describe yourself in 3 words?
Nerd in love. Geeky Ginger Girl. Confused Little Sociopath? It depends on the day :).
6. What is your favorite food? And why?
Strawberries or chicken nuggets. Because my inner child runs my brain 99% of the time and if you don’t love chicken nuggets there is a darkness in your soul.
7. What are the 3 beauty items you could not live without?
Chapstick. Mascara. Concealer. IF we are counting sunscreen then it would replace the concealer, but I think that’s more skincare in my personal assessment.
8. What is your favorite feature?
I really love the shape of my eyes. It plays up well with just a bit of makeup.
9. If you had to for one week give up makeup or food, which would you choose?
Makeup. Easily. As long as my skin looks good I really don’t care about makeup all that much anyway.
10. If you had to be a FRIENDS character for a day, who would you choose?
Ooo hard choice between Rachel or Monica. I think Rachel because I feel more like Monica most of the time anyway.
Questions from Natalie @ CattyNatty
1. If you could have a dinner party with three people (dead or alive) who would you invite?
I think it would have to be me, the boyfriend, and Henry Cavill. Because he’s a big Superman fan.
2. What is your favorite show?
Doctor Who or Supernatural. It’s a very close tie lately.
3. What is your greatest achievement?
I guess what most people would consider my greatest achievement is starting a project that helped hundreds if not thousands of people and pets. But personally I think the greatest accomplishment one can have is finding the person that you know in the depths of your soul is the person you’ve been waiting all your life to find.
4. What do you do in your free time?
I read, I game, I read comics, I watch movies or binge watch shows with the boyfriend, play with the mutts, doodle food with cutesie faces.
5. What is your favorite makeup brand? Why?
I’d have to say Smashbox, Urban Decay, and Too Faced. Smashbox from experience, but just the feel of the brands and the products in the brands appeal to me.
6. Favorite places to shop?
Amazon. I hate shopping in person for most things. I get tired and bored too easily.
7. Would you rather stay in on a Friday night or go out?
I’d rather stay in. If I want to go out, I’d rather go out on a weeknight when there’s less crowds.
8. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
I think Ireland. There’s no big reason except I got it in my head that I wanted to go when I was little.
9. What is the most frightening thing that happened to you and how did you overcome that fear?
I’m willing to be open with most things on here, but because my blog is public to a few people I’d rather it wasn’t, this particular question isn’t something I can answer publicly and be honest about it. Sorry girls!
Have you ever loved something so much that you walked away from it and did not regret it? What was it?
I honestly don’t think I ever have. There was nothing I loved that I needed to give up.
Questions from Alice @ AliceRambles
1. What is one TV show that you could watch for hours on end?
Supernatural or Doctor Who. I’ve marathoned on both of these from start to finish (or almost finish, on Supernatural) even after I’ve seen them before, because I got the boyfriend into them this year.
2. If you could have a brand new car, what color would you like it to be?
I really don’t know. It depends on the car. That metallic lime color is pretty cool. But I go in moods. Just not black or matte white. Looks old too fast.
3. Do you have a lot of things on your walls, or hardly any?
I really prefer more curated and polished decor. There’s more things on my walls currently because of living in a two room situation rather than the decor throughout a house or apartment.
4. Would you rather be rich and stupid or poor and intelligent?
Poor and intelligent. Seems accurate to life.
5. Shuffle your entire music library – which song plays first?
Almost always it’s Halfman’s Song by Miracle of Sound. Yes. It’s a song about Game of Thrones.
6. What’s your favorite shop to spend ages in?
Amazon. It’s honest to god the only store I spend a long time looking through. I don’t like crowds or shopping.
7. What’s your main guilty pleasure in life?
Food. I feel more guilty about food than anything else. But I watch way too much tv. Maybe I should feel guilty about that. But I wouldn’t feel guilty if I was also able to get a job that didn’t drain my health. So yeah.
8. Have you ever been in love?
Once. Just once. He’s the man of my dreams and I can’t wait to spend my forever with him. I actually couldn’t dream up someone that I could love more than him.
9. What’s your favorite band/musician?
I don’t think I’ll ever have a favorite band. Miracle of Sound is the artist with the most songs on my playlist, so we’ll go with that.
10. What’s the next film you plan to watch?
Major film like in theaters? Suicide Squad. I have a date 😉 😀 But I’m pretty sure World War Z, Zoolander 2, Open Season 2, and Toy Story 3 will be the next things I watch because 3 of 4 are on the DVR to be a long distance movie date type situation.
Questions from Maran @ NotAFashionistaBlog
1. What is your fondest (childhood or any other kind of) memory?
Meeting my guy for the first time in person. It’s a moment etched into my mind with every scent and sound and detail. I couldn’t change anything about that moment.
2. What do you love most about yourself?
I’m a very organized person, even if that organization is disorganized chaos, and sometimes isn’t always balanced across all areas of my life. But lists, charts, records… I’m good at it. It comes naturally.
3. What’s one thing people don’t know about you but that you’d like them to know?
Maybe that I raised a pet squirrel? I don’t know. I’ve never thought about what I ‘want people to know’ outside of a resume or interview.
4. What makes you different from other people?
Is there any way to answer this without it feeling like I’m stereotyping and making assumptions? I guess I feel different from most people I see in my generation because I think being ignorant or using text speak Almost shows as much bad character as cheating on someone. Both of which seem to be extremely and unfortunately common.
5. What is the best compliment you’ve ever received?
Having the guy of my dreams ask me to be his girlfriend. That was pretty badass. Can anything even compare to that? Besides gushy stuff, one of the models I worked with a few years ago told me she was so excited to have my photography style in her portfolio. That felt pretty good too.
6. What is one question you’d absolutely hate to answer?
“How do you feel about me?”
7. Who or what cheers you up?
This sounds corny as hell… but goofy almost baby-talk-esque conversations with my guy. It’s almost guaranteed to cheer me up no matter how bad of a day I’ve had.
8. If you had to name 3 things that you find beautiful, that you absolutely love, what would those things be and why?
The look in someones eyes when they light up inside because you’re making them feel like the best version of themselves and seeing themselves in a light they’ve never experienced before (on a photoshoot, to clarify). Tiny fuzzy creatures like puppies and kittens, especially if they’re having dreams and moving their feet or whimpering/yelping. And really, really good handwriting. Yep. Now you know I’m a weirdo. Maybe that should have been my answer for what I want people to know.
9. How would your friends describe you?
Obsessive. Efficient. Socially Awkward. Quirky.
10. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
I answered this earlier, but from my view, it’s finding my soul mate. I think it’s so rare that you would really find your soulmate living down the street from you and there’s billions of people in the world – finding that one person that completes you in every way is sort of a miracle by itself.
I cannot find the link to the questions for this one, but LoveEstelle nominated me and it actually should have been my 1st Liebster Award. So I wanted to give a special shout out and thanks to her for starting me off. 🙂
11 Random Facts About Me
- I just celebrated my 3 year anniversary on Sunday.
- It was my first time Ever going to a boys house.
- I don’t understand how our puppy looks like a black bear, but came from white/red and yellow dogs.
- I liked Harley Quinn before she was the ‘it’ thing.
- I think Wonder Woman is a joke and I really can’t respect her.
- I talk to inanimate objects. Like all the time.
- I think my stomach hates me because no matter what I eat, I always end up feeling sick.
- I got overwhelmed and burnt out on my blog over the past few months, and the thing that finally hit the reset button for me was getting to see my guy.
- It was the first time I saw him in almost a year to the day.
- This is the first year I have primarily only read books I’ve never read before – normally I stick very close to my comfort zone.
- I tried an ombre lip today with red and bright orange and I felt like a hooker that was trying too hard.
* I don’t have internet right now to check if you guys have received awards before, but I want to highlight some of my followers that I’ve just been discovering*
The Lovely Ladies @ makeupateers.com
Jessica @ missjessicv.wordpress.com
Alicia @ randomthingsienjoy.wordpress.com
Laura @ lauraaliceloves.wordpress.com
Congrats you guys on your 1st (or 2nd or 3rd or +++) Liebster Awards! Looking forward to seeing your posts if you choose to participate, and more from all of you guys in general whether you choose to or not 🙂
My 11 Questions For Them
- What era/year/decade do you think you should have been born in?
- What’s the last book you read?
- What movie or show do you absolutely refuse to watch?
- If you have to choose between playing up your lips or eyes, what do you choose?
- What’s the coolest pet name you’ve thought of or had?
- If makeup wasn’t a social norm, do you think you’d still do it as often?
- Do you think you do your makeup for you, for social perception, to impress women, or to impress men?
- If you had to remove 3 items from your normal makeup routine and could never use them again, what would you get rid of?
- What mythical creature would you love to meet and/or own?
- If you could live in the reality of any book, movie, or TV show, which would it be and why?
- What do you think is the most overrated song? (current or ever, your choice)