Hey girls! I had two sweeties nominate me for the Liebster Award over the past week or so and I’m finally (almost sorta kinda) caught up enough to do the post! Madeleine at maddaboutbeauty and Cecy of cecymxrgxrita. I’m a fan of both of their blogs and if you aren’t already, you should definitely send some blogger love their way.
About the Award
- The Liebster Award exists by bloggers for bloggers. It’s a way to show your appreciation for the blogs you love and help other people find them.
- “Liebster” comes from German origin and can translate to mean: dearest, sweetest, kindest, nicest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, welcome, sweetheart, and boyfriend.
The (Official) Rules
- Thank the person that nominated you, & link back to their blog.
- Display the Award on your blog. (in your post and/or a widget)
- Answer 11 questions about yourself.
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5-11 blogs with under 1000 followers to receive the award.
- Create a new list of questions for the nominees to follow.
- List these rules in your Award post.
- Inform each blogger of the Award nomination.
1. Why did you start your blog?
I started blogging and subscription boxes for the same reason: motivation to take better care of myself and care more about my appearance, in a positive way. I hit a pretty big low in my self image last year and I needed to do something to conquer it.
2. Where was your last, best vacation?
Florida, for our (dating) anniversary, I flew down to see my guy and we had an unbelievable weekend in a gorgeous hotel.
3. What is your favorite quote, and by whom (if you know)?
“Books have to be heavy because the whole world’s inside them.”
– Cornelia Funke / Inkheart.
4. What are three beauty products you cannot live without?
- a lip balm (currently EpicBlend)
- a cleanser
- mascara (I could live without it but these would be the 3 I’d miss)
5. What’s your favorite post that you’ve written? (Link, please!)
It’s cliche as hell, but 90% of the time my favorite post is one (if not the) most recent I’ve written. Currently my favorite post is my latest Battle of the Boxes.
6. Who is your favorite fictional character?
Alanna of Trebond. after that would be Harley Quinn, and Superman.
7. How did you pick your blog’s name?
Actually I was tossing around names for a relationship blog last year and this one came to mind. It wasn’t what I used, but I liked it enough that I kept it registered, and when it came time to decide on my little life change, it fit the idea of an intellectual approach at beauty and the womanly aspects of life, the universe, and everything.
8. If you could meet anyone dead or alive, who would it be?
Doctor Who! Not the actors… the legit Doctor. I’ve gotta hijack me a TARDIS!
9. What is the most delicious food you have ever eaten?
It’s probably because of the memory associated with it, but it was this circuis themed burger place (Burger Freak, maybe?), my second time meeting my guy in person. Maple syrup, fried onions, and a fried egg on a burger? Yum.
10. What is your favorite TV show?
I’m torn between Doctor Who, Supernatural, iZombie, Lucifer, Lost Girl, Warehouse 13, and Eureka. Primeval was also pretty amazing.
11. What is your favorite hobby (aside from blogging)?
Bullet Journaling. Starting this planning and organization system is easily one of the most positive things I’ve ever done for myself.
1. how long have you been blogging, and what made you start?
I’ve blogged on and off for years, sometimes about photography and some about design, but it’s never stuck for more than a month. I started blogging about beauty in December (in prep for January), with the encouragement of my boyfriend, because I wanted to start caring more about how I look and working on my self image.
2. What do you hope to achieve with your blog?
There’s a few ways to answer this, the biggest thing I hoped to achieve starting out was to have motivation for myself to do something consistently and to explore both my voice and my appearance. I have huge amounts of social anxiety and this is a wonderful way to connect with people in a way that I’m comfortable with.
It’s grown to become something where even if I’m posting something similar to someone else, like a subscription preview, I want to add more value: details on price, reviews, brands, just something that makes it worth reading even if you’ve seen the images.
3. What was your first high end makeup purchase (if you have one)?
I don’t think I’ve purchased anything that would be considered ‘high end’ yet. Quite honestly brand names don’t impress me (although yes, some excite me), and if I can get something that does the job cheaper, I really don’t care what the brand is.
4. If you listed one in the answer above, do you still use it today? If you don’t have one yet, which do you think your first will be?
To my standard of high-end, my first purchase is sitting in my Birchbox cart and it’s the RE:P Bio Fresh Mask from my Korean Beauty Birchbox. I might find something in the meantime that replaces it because holy hell $41?? But that stuff is basically magic and I love that I can fall asleep in it.
5. Where is your favorite place to be?
In Florida, not because I like the sun or heat or weather, far from it. But my guy lives there and it’s the place I feel the most at home.
6. Where is somewhere new you’d like to visit?
7. Do you subscribe to any monthly subscription services?
Which is your favorite and why?
I subscribe to… I can’t even list a number offhand: Birchbox (x2), Ipsy (x2 temporarily), Beauty Box 5, Lip Monthly, BeautyCon Box, Walmart Beauty Box, Treatsie, Groovebook, and Graze (paused, but subscribed). So 11, but 9 different ones.
- Birchbox. I can earn back $5-$6 every month, and since I got my annual sub at $7.33/box, it makes it an amazing deal. Plus the variety is great.
- Beauty Box 5. I feel like almost every item in this is usable every month and if it’s not an experimental product to use once (which I still enjoy) it’s usually something that I end up using daily or weekly.
- Ipsy and BeautyCon are tied. Ipsy wins out primarily because BeautyCon only comes once every 3 months, whereas Ipsy is every month. Ipsy is a challenge, like I feel like there’s some way to hack it and make it perfect, and I’m determined to figure out that trick (and then share it).
8. What is your favorite, ‘holygrail’ product?
RE:P Bio Fresh Mask. My pores are BFFs with this. And they’re b*tchy as f***.
9. On a day off, or after a long week, what is something you just HAVE to do?
A research project. It might be products or blog topics, or fitness and workout ideas, the hit vitamins and supplements of the moment. But I need a research project to really feel like I’ve got ‘me’ time. It may or may not be done from a bubble bath.
10. What is one item in your skincare routine that you cannot be without?
A cleanser – typically one that at least in some way fights acne.
These were some really fun questions to answer!! Thanks girls 😀
My 11 (More) Random Facts About Me:
- I am both a natural and artificial ginger.
- I stalk Instagram to see what’s coming in curated boxes.
- I’m way more curious than a cat.
- I live on a river with my family.
- I sulk on the days I walk up to check the mail and there’s no boxes there.
- My boyfriend is my biggest supporter in beauty challenges & blogging & life.
- I’d rather eat strawberries than chocolate.
- I have an ankle injury that makes walking even 1/4 mile in under 3″ heels painful.
- My boyfriend can attest to the fact that – I cannot take a compliment.
- I get frustrated and overwhelmed easily.
- I throw my heart into everything I do, or I don’t do it at all.
In addition to my first nominees which you can see here; I’d like to nominate some of the girls I’ve found on recent blog search binges.
*My internet has been argumentative lately, I apologize for any delay in notification of nominees*
Please check these girls out and give them some love.
Their blogs caught my eye and they are so worth the read.
And my questions for them to answer…
1. What beauty/makeup product do you consider entirely unnecessary?
2. What do you think people splurge too much on?
3. What do you think is worth the splurge?
4. If you could only wear one lipstick color every day for the rest of your life, what would it be? (general color/dream lipstick, or actual product)
5. What one product that you use regularly would you give up first?
6. Besides any video streaming, where do you spend your most time online?
7. Who is your beauty icon?
8. What trend/style are you thinking about trying?
9. If you subscribe to a subscription box, what would be inside of your ideal box/bag?
10. What’s your favorite word today?
11. What one fact, tip, trick, or reality check, do you think most people need right now?